Simple vertical boiler : Parts, Working, Advantages and Disadvantages
simple vertical boiler is one whose axis of orientation is vertical with respect to the ground. it is a fire tube or a water tube boiler.
Parts of simple vertical boiler
- Ash pit
- Feed check valve
- Fire hole
- Fire box
- Cross box
- Hand hole
- fire box
- Fusible plug
- Water gauge
- Cylindrical shell
- Steam space
- Pressure gauge
- Steam stop valve
- Safety valve
Working of simple vertical boiler
In a simple vertical boiler fuel is added through the fire hoke into the grate which burn there to produce the hot gases. fuel when converted into ash is collected into the ash pit.
Hot gases rises above and pass their heat to the water in the cross box and go out of the boiler through the chimney.
Water heats up and steam production starts. steam which produce as a result of water heating is collected at the steam space of the boiler. steam is collected until a certain pressure is attain and then steam is passed out for use like running turbine or engine.
You can read our other article to know all about LANCASHIRE BOILER Parts, Working, Application, Advantages and Disadvantages and NESTLER BOILERS Parts and Working
Application of simple vertical boiler
- Simple vertical boiler have may application is railway locomotives for example railway steam engine
- Simple vertical boiler are used in the road vehicles like steam wagon (steam lorry or steam waggon)
- Simple vertical boiler have a very famous application that steam tractor
- There are number of boats specially smaller one which uses the simple vertical boiler to power the engine
- In some parts of the world simple vertical boiler are used in steam donkeys
- Simple vertical boilers are also used in the steam cranes and steam Steam shovels
Advantages of simple vertical boiler
- low initial cost because of lesser parts
- Low maintenance cost
- Simple working
- Easy to install and replace
- Occupy small space on ground
- Simple vertical boiler have water level tolerance
Disadvantages of simple vertical boiler
- Vertical design limits its working in many places
- Because of the limited grate area steam production is limited
- Impurities settle down at the bottom thus prevent water from heating
- Boiler tubes must be kept short to minimize height. As a result, much of the available heat is lost through the chimney, as it has too little time to heat the tubes.